Please write a good solid paragraph where you comment on any
of the following topics, raise any questions that come to mind: what do you
know about this week's topic already? what interests you about this topic? what
more would you like to learn about it? When you are done, post your comments
in the "Starting Assumptions" section of this week's Blackboard
Discussion Board. Please make sure that you do this by
Tuesday midnight; it is up to you whether you want to do this before
or after the Background assignment (either way is fine).
Note: you do not have to answer all these questions; just
pick the ones that are the most relevant to what's on your mind.
- have you heard of Saint Francis? do you know any stories about him? have
you see the film Brother
Sun, Sister Moon?
- are there other saints that you have heard about? what stories do you know
- have you ever been to a monastery? do you know anything about the different
orders of monks? (Franciscans, Dominicans, etc.)
- are you interested in mysticism? are you familiar with Christian mystic
traditions, such as the Philokalia of the Christian Orthodox Church? medieval
mystics and visionaries such as Hildegard of Bingen?Meister Eckhart? Thomas
- are you familiar with other mystical traditions such as Islamic Sufism?
- at the bottom of the page you will find some images from
this week's unit; if any of these images make a big impression on you, you
can share your thoughts about the image and what it suggests to you (click
on the image to learn more about it!)
Modern Languages 4970 / MRS 4903: Medieval Latin. Spring
2003 Online Course at the University of Oklahoma. Visit http://www.ou.edu/online/
for more info.
Laura Gibbs, University of Oklahoma - Information Technology © 2003.
firstname.lastname@example.org. Last updated:
December 29, 2002 7:12 PM